Letter from the Missionary Childhood Association
Dear Partner in Mission,
Welcome to the Missionary Childhood Association (MCA) for this new academic year! We are most grateful for your commitment to encourage young people in their missionary vocation. As Pope Francis said recently at World Youth Day in Rio: “Dear young friends, Christ has confidence in you and he entrusts his own mission to you: Go and make disciples!”
This year, we celebrate the 170th anniversary of the founding of MCA by Bishop Charles de Forbin-Janson. After visiting as a missionary to the United States – yes, we were mission territory then! – he returned to his native France, inspired by what he saw and determined to help, especially the young church’s efforts for children. After speaking with his friend, Pauline Jaricot, foundress of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, Bishop Forbin-Janson decided to do as she did, but gathering children together to pray and sacrifice for the Missions of the Church. And so, MCA was born!
Today, MCA continues to follow the vision of Bishop Forbin-Janson – “children helping children.” After learning about the great needs of the world’s poorest children, young people and their families are invited to pray and to offer financial help so that children in the Missions today may know Christ and experience His love and care.
Materials for the 2013-2014 school year will highlight the catechetical theme, “Open the Door of Faith” – a focus chosen by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops for the year, starting with Catechetical Sunday (September 15, 2013). We are indeed all called to open the door for others to the Lord’s love and His saving grace – to be, in every moment, His missionary disciples.
The following is a list, with brief descriptions, of our resources and programs for this year, all of which may be ordered online at www.MCAKids.org; there is also more information on these materials in our Resource Guide which you may download at that same website.
- **NEW** Holy Buckets ADVENT Program – is a print- and web-based initiative that engages young people in their call to be missionaries, seeking their prayers, actions and monetary sacrifices for the work of MCA among their brothers and sisters in the Missions. At the Holy Buckets website (http://www.propfaith.net/MCAHolyBuckets), young people can track their own support, as well as total help provided by MCA kids around the country. The online website also offers additional Advent / Christmas catechetical materials, and the program is designed to move beyond the classroom, engaging families. (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8)
- National Prayer and Penny Week (March 16-23, 2014) LENT Program – encourages prayer and sacrifice, honoring the legacy of Pauline Jaricot, who sought prayers and help for the Missions of her day (including our own country). (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8)
- It’s Our World Newsletter – is now published as Fall / Advent and Spring / Lent issues, offering an expanded focus. A Leader’s Guide features additional activities and critical thinking questions. (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8)
- World Mission Rosary & Poster – explains the World Mission Rosary developed by Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen (National Director, Society for the Propagation of the Faith, 1950 to 1966). Each of the five decades is a different color to represent areas of the world where the Church continues her evangelizing mission.
These resources are available online only, to download:
- **NEW** World Mission Sunday MCA Resources – are designed to help our youngest missionaries understand and celebrate the day the Catholics of the world unite in celebration of our missionary vocation. These materials feature the theme for World Mission Sunday this year (October 20), “Do Good On Earth.” Download at www.IAmAMissionary.org. (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8; a video on that website is suitable for viewing by older students [Grade 8])
- **NEW** World Mission Rosary Video –will be launched this October. Highlighting the beauty and the why of the World Mission Rosary, the video is produced with a dynamic combination of graphics, images and text. You may download the video and accompanying discussion guide at no charge at www.MCAKids.org. A special DVD package will be offered for purchase; details at http://www.onefamilyinmission.org/society-propfaith/youth-in-mission.html.
- Christmas Artwork Contest – recognizes 24 winners each year. More information and the official entry form are included at www.MCAKids.org.
Please note that our online ordering system will be open through September 22, 2013. : You may also order a number of these programs – Holy Buckets, National Prayer and Penny Week – for high school students, and youth ministry groups. The World Mission Rosary Videos are available for high school / youth ministry as well.