Parish-based Catechesis Programs:
- serve over 20,000 parishioners each year;
- serve about 12,000 students in pre-school - grade 8 catechetical programs taught by nearly 2,000 catechists;
- prepare youth for Confirmation;
- are coordinated by nearly 150 paid and volunteer parish administrators of religious education;
- are staffed by over 2,000 dedicated volunteer catechists, the majority of whom are certified or working towards certification and who provide ongoing faith formation for persons of all ages;
- include over 100 parishes with adult education programs serving nearly 15,000 adults;
- include over one-half of all parishes that serve students with special needs via specialized approaches like SPRED groups.
Faith formation, religious education and catechesis are all terms that describe efforts to teach the Catholic faith in ways that draw all people closer to Jesus and deepen their participation in His Church. Parishes and missions throughout southern and central Indiana strive to provide comprehensive, womb-to-tomb catechetical programs.
The Archdiocesan Director of Catechesis and staff collaborate with parish administrators of religious education as well as other catechetical leaders (youth ministers, principals, campus ministers and others) in ensuring that the key components of various faith formation efforts are in place within each ministry. This entails addressing several basic questions with corresponding resources:
- What am I supposed to teach? (Archdiocesan Catechetical Curriculum Guidelines: Curriculum Guideline List and 2011 Addendum to the Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide);
- What resources should I use to teach? (list of books in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church);
- How do I know if I’m teaching well? (ACRE assessment tool);
- How can I grow as a catechist? (Catechist Formation and Certification processes).
Under the guidance of their pastors, the catechetical leaders (parish administrators of religious education, youth ministers and principals) are the key to successful programs. The Office of Worship and Evangelization (OWE) also assists pastors in filling catechetical leadership positions and continues enhancing faith formation throughout the archdiocese, bringing God's timeless truths to our 21st Century culture.
Updates for PAREs
- ACRE information is available at: www.archindy.org/acre
- DRE/YM Skills Series February 7. See e-notes for details. Contact Rose to register.
- Join us! February 28 "Archdiocesan Day of Reflection for Professional Ministers."
- View or Download the flier and agenda HERE
- Register HERE
- Save the date! March 4 is the annual SPRED Dinner Dance! Contact Erin for more info.
- Join us! Our next PARE meeting is March 7. Contact Rose to register.
- Free webinar on March 13: "Interpreting ACRE Results
Ken Ogorek, Director of Catechesis
Office of Worship and Evangelization
1400 N. Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-2367
Toll Free: 800-302-9836, ext. 1446